• December 15, 2018, 12:00:16 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Can you identify this noise in my 1999 Sense?  (Read 676 times)

VTPete

• Training Wheels
Re: Can you identify this noise in my 1999 Sense?
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2018, 02:35:51 PM »

Thanks all.
FYI, with a bit of 000 steel wool to clean off the rust, the new variator slipped on perfectly!  Yay!
And, it's working great.
Of course, I lost the little e-clip that holds the kick start engaging spring in place.  It went "p-twing", flew off in a random direction and required a hour delay while I tracked down an alternative.  Actually, two hours if you count the time I spent looking for the original part!
-Pete

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

Joss

• Scraping the pegs
    • Website
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2018, 11:02:46 AM »

It went "p-twing", flew off in a random direction and required a hour delay while I tracked down an alternative.

Part of the design process of those clips I think. Theres normally a cry of "nobody move" when one of those things goes flying.

VTPete

• Training Wheels
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2018, 05:30:50 PM »

After completely reassembling, it's running great. 
I would say my next step is to play with lighter variator rollers.  The kit I ordered came with 10g rollers, but I decided that the originals were a better choice.  (They felt a bit lighter, but honestly, I don't have a scale...)

The variator closes in far too quickly and the engine's RPM seems like I'm not even close to the power band.  Top speed is nice, though.  I think some lighter weights might keep my variator in "lower gear" longer for better acceleration off the line.  (From about 0 to 5mph, it's got nice pick-up, but then the acceleration drops off before the engine revs up.)

-Pete

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

VTPete

• Training Wheels
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2018, 06:17:22 PM »

(We're not waaaay off topic.  Oh well!)
I like that offset woodruff key!  I've never heard of those.  I've working on dozens of mopeds, but most were points based rather than CDI.  I might order one to try later, but as of this moment, the "on the stand" performance of the engine is so perfectly tuned that I'm going to hold off trying to advance the timing until after I've tried the roller weight replacement.

Honestly, I should just leave it alone because it works just fine now and I'm getting a solid 38mph out of it.  I just resist experimenting!

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2018, 08:51:23 PM »

Nonsense. Get it done.  ;D
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

VTPete

• Training Wheels
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2018, 11:37:16 AM »

It's getting cold up here in New Hampshire and test driving is no longer much fun.  But, I bought some 5 and 7 gram roller weights and am playing with different combos to get a feel for the result.  I bought one of those little RPM units to add some science to my fiddling.  I've currently got the engine revving an extra 1,250 or so RPMs before the variator really kicks in and the 0 to 15 mph performance is dramatically improved.  At one point I was riding it and thought, "this thing doesn't have much power" and then I realized my brain started to think I was riding one of my motorcycles instead of a dinky 50cc scooter.  Ah, the power of gearing! 

Pages: 1 [2]