• November 15, 2018, 11:19:03 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: sometimes shuts off when pressing clutch  (Read 474 times)

nosidefcp

• Training Wheels
sometimes shuts off when pressing clutch
« on: October 23, 2018, 11:54:04 PM »

sorry for opening this also on the GT650 forum area, but i think the issue is present on both bikes.

hi guys. new to this forum. recently bought a 2008 gv650i. bike is great, but im having the following issue:

sometimes, and only when passing from 2nd gear to 1st gear, when i full press the clutch lever, the bike shuts off. i almost had an accident today because of it. because imediatly turns on if press start, engine is runing fine. this only happened from 2nd to 1st.

ive noticed that when completly stoped, when in first gear and clutch lever fully pressed, if i rev up the throtle, the bike moves a litle bit. dont know if this have anything to do with the issue.

dont know if its an idle adjustment thing, clutch adjustment thing..etc.

does anyone have any idea?

been reading the forum and noticed a faulty sidestand switch can do this also...can i short the wires and bypass it fine?

thanks
Modify message

user @spit051261 sugested its the side stand switch, so i shorted it out.

i wanna ask you if it cant be related also with a faulty clutch switch. can i short this out too just in case?

thanks

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

LX_SS

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
Re: sometimes shuts off when pressing clutch
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 02:24:33 AM »

spitty is spot on.

and yes you can  short both the clutch and stand switches.

nosidefcp

• Training Wheels
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 12:34:01 AM »

happened again with side stand already shorted.

2 things im thinkinh, clutch switch or clutch cable.

when im stoped in first gear, with clutch lever fully pressed, if i pull the throtle the bike moves a litle. maybe related?

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 12:36:49 AM »

You mean like the clutch is dragging?

Can you adjust the screw on the clutch lever to make the cable tighten a little bit, or is it already adjusted to maximum?
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

nosidefcp

• Training Wheels
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 12:58:13 AM »

I mean if im stoped, 1st gear on, clutch lever fully pressed and without releasing the lever, i Pull the throtle and the bike moves some cm. I feel a slight movement forward. Something like the clutch isnt fully pressed, but on this case, it is.

Im gonna check the cable first thing in the morning.

Couldnt a faulty clutch switch also Turn off the bike or this switch is just for when the bike is off?

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 01:14:18 AM »

The clutch switch is on the starter circuit, so a faulty clutch switch would prevent the starter motor from working.

A vacuum leak might cause a stall. Sometimes the rubber manifolds and hoses get old and they crack, or come loose.
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

nosidefcp

• Training Wheels
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 01:25:46 AM »

The clutch switch is on the starter circuit, so a faulty clutch switch would prevent the starter motor from working.

A vacuum leak might cause a stall. Sometimes the rubber manifolds and hoses get old and they crack, or come loose.

it only happens when im reducing speed, aproaching an intersection for example, and press clutch lever to switch from 2nd to 1st. it happened three times in three days, as soon as i press the lever and rpms goes down, the bike turned off. pushed start right away and it starts just fine. being this an EFI bike, can i adjust the idle?

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 01:54:58 AM »

No, the idle is electronically controlled.

I would suggest that your best bet is looking for a vacuum leak.

nosidefcp

• Training Wheels
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 02:04:28 AM »

No, the idle is electronically controlled.

I would suggest that your best bet is looking for a vacuum leak.

Im kinda noob in that area. Can i just use carb cleaner or wd40 to identify a vaccuum leak on a EFI bike? Or do you advise another method?

Ps- i do have some popping at the exhaust with low speed/low revs. Could this indicate a leak?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 02:22:31 AM by nosidefcp »

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 03:18:42 AM »

Popping would indicate a leak in the exhaust.

Idle issues are typical of a vacuum leak in the inlet side.

Get the bike warmed up and idling and then spray some WD40 where the throttle bodies join to the inlet manifolds. If the idle speed changes, then you have a leak.

Also test the two thin rubber lines that run from the inlet manifolds to the idle speed solenoid. Test those thoroughly, since they are long, thin and in the way of basically everything.

Sometimes the manifolds crack. Sometimes the clamps loosen off and the throttle bodies pop out when you change the air filter.

Pages: [1] 2