• January 19, 2019, 09:12:12 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Tachometer not working GT250R 2013  (Read 435 times)

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
Re: Tachometer not working GT250R 2013
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2018, 09:37:31 PM »

Yep, the voltages are perfect, stator is good!

The blue/green wire pair is indeed the pickup coil. The bike wouldn't start if that was an issue.

This is the workshop manual for your bike:

http://hyosung.hu/download/pdf/data/service-manual/GV250-GT250-EFI-service-manual.pdf

Page 62 describes the 'Charging output check'. Bottom of page 61 describes the test you just did with the three yellows. Top of page 63 is a thorough reg/rec test.

On pages 84 and 85 is a wiring diagram.

You're interested in the three wires coming out of the tacho and tracing them back to make sure they've not been eaten in some creative way.

The red wire is power, the black wire with the thin white trace is ground and the white wire is the signal from the ECU.

...don't cheat yeah, make sure the bin is a decent distance from the bike. ;)
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

spit051261

• Grinding the pipes
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2018, 12:37:17 AM »

If your regulator is toast , you'll probably be able to smell it as well as seeing the back of it burnt when you remove it .
It could still be a cable fault .
We had one guy recently with a charging fault and after spending days going through everything , turned it the output to the reg. wasn't even connected to the battery , remember  ::)
2010  GT650R in the best colour RED

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2018, 06:01:26 AM »

Surely there can only be one?
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

spit051261

• Grinding the pipes
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2018, 06:27:53 AM »

Just saying ::)
I was rather pissed off with that .

jockwr

• Training Wheels
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2018, 06:36:10 AM »

This is the workshop manual for your bike:

http://hyosung.hu/download/pdf/data/service-manual/GV250-GT250-EFI-service-manual.pdf

Excellent, thank you.

I've removed the rectifier, no noticeable burn smell and no burn marks. I've tested the resistance values across the different pin combinations.

Measurements in Mega Ohms
Pin No.   1        2        3        4             5
       1     -        -         -        -              -
       2   5.2       -        -         -             -
       3   4.2      4.2      -         -             -
       4   2.6      2.5     2.4       -             -
       5   5.0      4.3     4.1      OUT OF    -
                                            RANGE

Those values are what show up in the first 5 seconds of testing the pins. If I keep the multimeter connected, the resistance values just keep going up. After 2 minutes connected to Pins 1 to 2, it was up to 8Mohm and climbing at approximately 10kohm/second. Not sure what's going on here.

The pins that are the most out is pin 4 to 5, it is supposed to measure 32kohm but it's out of range (>20 M ohm).

Readings on all pins are out. so you're right, time to bin this thing!

Any idea how long these usually last? My bike only has 7,500kms on the clock.

I'll try find the connector in front of the tank that xuraax mentioned and  I'll have a read through that manual to see what I can work out. I'm sure I'll be back with questions.

Thanks so far for everybody's help.

spit051261

• Grinding the pipes
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2018, 09:09:39 AM »

Easier to measure voltage going in from stator and the voltage coming out to the battery with bike running . basically both sides of the reg.
AC in and DC out  ;)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 09:13:12 AM by spit051261 »

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2018, 11:11:36 PM »

More background if you have the patience for it.

Diode based reg/recs, aka shunt type aka serial, are by far the most common.

They work by shunting excess to ground. This works fine, if the ground is reliable.

In the case of Hyosung bikes, the ground is not reliable. It's far from it. It is hopelessly thin and routed in the most ridiculous way. The main ground goes from the battery to the engine casing, then through the engine mount bolts to the chassis. Have a look if you don't believe me. Follow the ground wires coming out of the battery.

FYI at both the engine casing and chassis, all surfaces are still painted. The reg/rec measures potential difference between the chassis and it's DC +'ve output. nstead of being 14.5V, it ends up being more like 16V. It ruins your battery and it overheats itself. You mentioned that your reg/rec hasn't melted and doesn't have that funniny electrical smell. The only reason for this is because you caught it in time.

If you want the next reg/rec to live, you need to think about wiring upgrades. We can help and the process is simple. All it is, is running two new pairs of wires. The first if for connecting the output of the reg/rec directly to the battery, then running wires from the battery back to the plug where the reg/rec charges the loom. Part two is running a nice, chunky bit of wire between the battery -'ve and the chassis.

At such a low milage, I wonder if your bike is still under warranty?

Regardless, at some point, if you intend to keep that bike, consider a (much) better reg/rec.

http://www.roadstercycle.com <-- have the FH020AA for circa AU$200 landed. Don't buy the Hyosung adapter, waste of time as it doesn't fix the wiring problem.

jockwr

• Training Wheels
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2018, 01:38:46 PM »

Cheers for the explanation.

Unfortunately I purchased the cheap regulator already $36 from ebay.  But I will certainly add a thick grounding wire in.

I'm the second owner of the bike (From 3000kms), don't have any warranty info on the bike.

I've found some unconnected wires laying under the rear left fairings and passenger seat.
Do you know what these are for? I've searched the colour of the wires in the manual but they didn't give any results.
General location of mentioned disconnected cables: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1acMJCcvKlNemzU8isPFxnrYd03NBxH-x
Closeup of 4 pin and 2 pin connector: https://drive.google.com/open?id=11wlnO2QlhtqaggU5rogfP9F-M3A_WqAL
Closeup of other 2 pin connector: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wL2--TLodCrgs_J99dEwAk4oBC8J_zW7

Also, the "Pick up coil" is measuring 135 ohms of resistance (With the engine turned off). The manual states that it should be between 85 and 105 ohms. Any idea if it's worth replacing?

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2018, 08:24:52 PM »

The 4 pin connector is a type of serial port for the ECU. The two pin one is for diagnostic mode, when you get a check engine light.

Ignore the pickup coil. If it was a problem, the bike wouldn't start. It's just a crank angle sensor.

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2018, 08:26:59 PM »

The other two pin connector looks like maybe your license plate light.

Pages: 1 [2] 3