• February 24, 2019, 02:00:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Tachometer not working GT250R 2013  (Read 553 times)

jockwr

• Training Wheels
Re: Tachometer not working GT250R 2013
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2019, 04:19:58 AM »

Update:

- I've received the new regulator and fitted it.
- Voltage readings at the battery terminals vary between 13.95v and 14.00v  when I rev the engine in neutral.
- I have removed the fairings and checked every plug for corrosion. I did not find any corrosion on the terminals however there is some rust here and there on some bolts and the muffler.
- The only connector I couldn't get apart is the one that goes in to the instrument cluster display. Any idea on how to get the plug out? My hand barely fits in the space to grab the connector and I would prefer not to pull on the cables themselves. Also I couldn't really see if there are any clips that I need to squeeze to remove it.

The tacho is still not responding.

Cheers
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 09:00:26 AM by jockwr »

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

jockwr

• Training Wheels
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2019, 05:43:34 AM »

Oh never mind about removing the instrument cluster. I managed to get it off. There's a clip out of view that I had to push in.

So I've taken the instrument cluster off and found something interesting.

There's a dead bug floating around and something brown seems to be stuck under the needle. See photo: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1z0TBArtJIaVirbqOKIotJWVp2sc-bi5d

I had this bike parked under a tree for a few weeks while I was moving houses other than that it's always been garaged. Must've picked up some junk.

Time to try and remove it.

jockwr

• Training Wheels
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2019, 06:43:38 AM »

Next update:

i. I have removed the bug with some tweazers. It was a very soft bug didn't think it would stop the needle so easily.
ii. I manually pushed the needle to 1000 rpm just to see how easily the arm moved (I don't know if these needles are meant to be manually forced around).
iii. I plugged it back into the bike and the needle moved from 0 to 1000 rpm. Progress!

iv. I took it back out and used some compressed air to give it a nice blow around where the bug was stuck. I also slowly manually moved the needle as far is it would go using a gentle push. The needle went as far as the 3 O'clock position (i.e. past the end of the red area on the tacho). I pushed it back to it's minimum which was the 0 RPM mark. I did that 2 more times and didn't feel any change in resistance over the range of movement.

v. Plugged it back into the bike and tada fixed! It goes up from 0 RPM to the end of the red scale when the key is turned on and then it goes up with revving the engine as usual.

Wish I had noticed the bug before!  the bug was pretty much directly under the needle so it wasn't noticeable.
I checked the original video I took when I first had the issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W94jDueeEIY
You can't see any bugs in there.
The bigger bug just floating around in there wasn't visible before, must've been stuck somewhere else in the instrument cluster and I must have shaken it loose when I took the cluster out.

Anyway, problem fixed, plenty learnt. Thanks for everyone's help!

spit051261

• Grinding the pipes
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2019, 09:30:01 AM »

You sorted it and that's the main thing .
Happy days .
How the hell did a bug get under the plastic tacho cover  :o
2010  GT650R in the best colour RED

umop-ǝpisdn

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2019, 08:34:56 PM »

Agree. It should be airtight. How'd it get in? Is it perhaps a Korean bug, I wonder?
I used to be a sensitive, new age guy, but times have changed and now I am more of a caring, understanding, ninties type.

Pages: 1 2 [3]