• April 23, 2019, 05:06:36 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18

Author Topic: Like Carburetor 101 for the total Idiot?  (Read 76951 times)

Mike on the Rock

• Forum Addict
  • Mesa Arizone where it nevers snows
    • www.seaies.com
Re: Like Carburetor 101 for the total Idiot?
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2009, 01:23:35 PM »

I balanced the cams my self, I have a mill and a balance fixture.

The reason I balanced the cams is to try to reduce some of the vibration and to free up some of the power lost in the valve train.  Several of the Big 4 V twins and most of the singles have some Factory Balance to the cams, Hyosung skipped that.

The Cams on a DOHC 8 valve "V" twin are as out of balance as possible due to the lobes all being on one side of the cam. On the GT/GV125 and250 end ball bearings are used so you can remove some material from the shaft to bring the shaft closer to balance. As we are dealing with an unknown cast steel cam, it is hard to tell the strenght of the cam shaft, so this is a test to check longevity of the procedure.

As for freeing up lost power, on a Ford V 8 351 with a factory balanced cam design, you can gain 3.5 HP at 2500 rpm and up to 5HP at 4500 rpm with this procedure, as the Hyosung has a lot more out of balance weight and 10500 RPM You can free up some serious HP.

The GT/GV650 has a 3 bearing design and weights more so should have better results, but due to the bearing layout will be harder to balance. This Mod is for the serious Racing Engine and as a Production study.

This has made the engine less "buzzy" and is noticeable in the handle bars :)

« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 01:31:49 PM by Mike on the Rock »
Ride safe Mike on the Rock
All my Rides are Naked.

http://seaies.com
"You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do." - Henry Ford

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

pumbaa

• Forum Addict
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2009, 11:57:26 PM »

Off topic but back on the cam's. I noticed you mentioned the 650 cam's to be harder to work with. I would love to look into it. Maybe when I get some time and money I'll get a set of used cams from a blown 650 somewhere and see about doing this.
2012 Hyosung Comet GT650
2016 Ford Focus

DV-ation

• Learner rider
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2009, 06:46:59 PM »

hmm sounds interesting! sply when ive been thinking about checking my valves as ive noticed the vibration im experiencing comes at around 4.5k rpm while accelerating but at round5.5-6k while decelerating! tried reverting to old astock endcan but no difference in vibration, so basically if it was some weight imbalance then it would be at the same RPM hence the doubt on the exhaust and now on the valves! sorry fr taking the thread off topic plese give your inputs on:
http://korider.com/index.php?topic=12015.0
thnx
Only a true biker knows why dogs stick their head out of a moving car!

netbug

• Regular rider
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2009, 01:44:50 AM »

Could someone please make this into a sticky topic in the 250 section.

It contains a lot of valuable information. I have personally benefit a lot from this topic. I am sure a lot of us has the same experience.
Special thanks to Mike for sharing his knowledge.

netbug

• Regular rider
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2009, 02:31:24 AM »

Thanks to the forum administrator for making this into a sticky topic  ;D

bloccrule

• Training Wheels
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2009, 07:09:16 AM »

Hi BeAR

Most Bike tuners of carbureted bikes find that with a change to straight through muffler use two steps up as a starting point, this would be a 97.5 and a 100.

The 100 seem to be easer to get and experience indicates that 100/100 works very well.

I will post on changing the jets in the next section.

Ride safe
Mike on the rock
          ok i have got the jet kit for my hyosung gt250r. done it all even the airbox mod. but one part in the instrutions have lost me. it says the air/fuel screw may be covered with a brass plug due to EPA regulations. drill that out if needed. start with 2 turns and increase by 1/2 tyurn. please tell me what does this mean. also where is this brass plug at on the carbs? do i have to drill the brass plugs out? also my came with the stock jets. i got a kit off of ebay. the jet that came out r bigger than the ones i have put in. i do not know if they r 100/000 or not. i just installed the ones i got in the kit.  and was not sure about the shims so i used 2 on each side? mike hope u can help me with this. like to have a picture to see this brass plug.

Mike on the Rock

• Forum Addict
    • www.seaies.com
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2009, 07:24:35 AM »

Please DO NOT MESS WITH THE O2 SCREWS.

And No I will not "try to fix" the mess you have made.

All my Rides are Naked.

bloccrule

• Training Wheels
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2009, 07:35:02 AM »

Please DO NOT MESS WITH THE O2 SCREWS.

And No I will not "try to fix" the mess you have made.

so what u r telling me is that there is no screws that have to be drilled out. on the pictures i got with my kit they look the same as the ones u have on here. all the same. so all i need to do is just install it back on the bike and see how it runs

Mike on the Rock

• Forum Addict
    • www.seaies.com
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2009, 07:39:45 AM »

Yes:

Do you have any idea what jets and needles where in the kit?

Also the needles in the front and back carb are not the same, do not mix them up.
All my Rides are Naked.

bloccrule

• Training Wheels
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2009, 08:00:58 AM »

Yes:

Do you have any idea what jets and needles where in the kit?

Also the needles in the front and back carb are not the same, do not mix them up.
no i don't know. i only did one at the time so i would not mix them up. the ones in the kit looked the same. the ones i took out was bigger than the ones i installed. i thought a kit would mean bigger jets not smaller. i am really lost. i have put it all back together. just did not know what was meant by the air/fuel screw and brass plug. i know the co/ adjuster not to mess with them. it saows them in the picture with the instrutions.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18