• October 19, 2017, 02:54:15 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Your First Bike!  (Read 5328 times)

jbrough7

• Forum Addict
Your First Bike!
« on: January 04, 2006, 02:09:44 PM »

What was it?  Some ol' smoke-belching dud from the 60's or a Japanese crotch rocket?

Mine is a ls 650 Suzuki Savage - 1988 - bought it a year ago with 5000 km. on it for just $800 but then had to put another $600 or so into her to get her certified.  Previous owners had left the poor girl outside with no cover through THREE canadian winters!  AAARRRGGGHHH!!

I've got all the pitting off and she looks pretty good now but is just too small.  That's why I'm looking at a gv650 when they hit canada in march or april at my local dealership.

Any others?

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

skadamo

• Administrator
  • Forum Addict
    • http://www.korider.com
Your First Bike!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 03:51:31 PM »

you never forget the first bike.  You gonna keep it?  Might as well start the collection now.

My first bike was a 1975 Honda CB360.  It was pretty beat up and only ran when I cut 1/4 " off the end the ignition wire and shoved it into the spark plug cap so it had a fresh contact patch. 8O   I did not have the $ to buy a new coil.  I was only 13 so I could not ride it...legally.  My brother had a Honda Rebel.  Did i mention he was younger?

So one summer day when mom was away we decided to take the bikes around the block.  We tore around the neighborhood behind our house for about 20 minutes before a cop pulled us over...no license, bikes were not even registered to us yet.  Busted.

Luckly we got a cop who likes bikes and probably saw himself as a kid.  We explained that our house was right down the street and we trying to keep the bikes running so the "seals did not dry out".  In the end he made us walk our bikes home.  Good times.

kids. :roll:
2007 GT250R

ACD_Bill

• Learner rider
    • http://www.pdacore.com
Your First Bike!
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 07:48:41 PM »

MY first bike wasn't actually mine. It was my dads. Back in about 1976 he had an old Suzuki 500cc (might have been bigger, having reached my forties, things when I was 13 are vague) bike that was almost as tall as me. To ride it I had to walk it to a curb to get on. To stop, I had to pull up, again, to the curb so I could put my foot down and reach something. :lol:

Yen65

• Learner rider
Your First Bike!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 02:12:19 AM »

Mine first bike was a workhouse, a tiny 80cc underbone machine that we use a lot in this part of the world (Malaysia). Was using in to and back to school and then in campus. a no nonense bike never have any mechanical problem, no oilchange require,  maintenance cost? alomost zero!

After that a virago 250, which has alot of design fault. The chain keep brushing the rear fender and the clucth cable keep on breaking. sold it within a year.

Now a happy owner of a GT250. No complaint so far, except the flat spot which look like it not a easy problem to solve. Happy biking!

ACD_Bill

• Learner rider
    • http://www.pdacore.com
Your First Bike!
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 02:18:59 AM »

At what RPM's does the flat spot occure?

Y2J

• Learner rider
Your First Bike!
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 02:45:47 AM »

A '99 Kawasaki VN250 Eliminator here. Had about 30,000km's on it (bikes, and cars too for that matter, 'keep' better down under without your crazy northern hemisphere winters to rust and corrode the hell outta them). Rode it for 3 years with not a single problem (except that time I ran outta gas....can't blame the bike for that one though....can I?  :wink: ).
When I'm on the Road, I'm Indestructible.
Nothing can stop me.
But they try.
-Ben- "Full Throttle"

connolly_p

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
    • http://
Your First Bike!
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 02:56:53 AM »

Sure you can.  It wasn't economical enough.  

My first "bike" was a 150cc Aprilia Scooter.  It wasn't quick enough on the freeways, so after 3 days of riding, I traded it for a 250cc Majesty scooter.  That went well for 600km, until the engine blew up.  The bike was delivered to me without oil.  Full credit to Yamaha that they can make an engine that will run for 600km with no oil.  Not much credit to me for not checking it in that period, but hey, I was learning.  

Next bike was the GT250.  Remarkably for me, I have had it for 19 months - I have owned 9 cars in the last 5 years - it's a bit of an expensive hobby   :(
250GT Comet

Dirty

• Training Wheels
Your First Bike!
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 07:25:21 PM »

This is all my bikes
Puch pony express 50 ccm
Tomos BT 50
Kawasaki KX 125
MZ ETZ 250
Yamaha TZM 150
Yamaha XT 600
Kawasaki KLE 500
Hyosung GT 650

v45

• Learner rider
Your First Bike!
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006, 02:23:30 AM »

Whoo boy where do I start. Well first motorized anything was a step thru honda moped 50 cc 1973. My friend(?) borrowed it and wrecked so his Dad paid me $125.00 to replace it. I was able to p/u a 1973 125CC Honda scrambler. (which I still have). I learned not to hit the front brakes hard when you think you are going to fast. Good thing I was only doing about 30km heehe.

bikerdan

• Training Wheels
Your First Bike!
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2006, 03:50:49 PM »

first bike: 1981 kawasaki 550 LTD
current bike: 2004 hyosung 250 Mirage

bikes inbetween: 1988 suzuki 650 GSG
                          1998 suzuki marauder 800
                          1998 daelim magna 125

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6