• December 16, 2018, 02:21:55 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Max HP from a GT250R  (Read 5397 times)

FlyingScotsman

• Training Wheels
    • http://
Max HP from a GT250R
« on: March 15, 2006, 02:50:46 AM »

Hi Guys,

i am looking into getting my bike down to one of these dyno centres and getting the whole bike reworked, Dynojet carb kit, muffler, sparks, k&n airfilter, CDI taken out fuel mix changed, 13 tooth sprocket.

Does anyone have a clue as to what kinda gains can i expect. I dont want to be chucking loads of money at this if its going to mean a couple of horses...

Has anyone been down this road? can anyone tell me if they think the investment is worth the HP Gain?  8)

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

oz650r

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
Max HP from a GT250R
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 05:31:43 AM »

NOT BEING RUDE BUT DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY IT IS ONLY A 250.
JUST WAIT AND GET A BIGGER BIKE.  THERE IS NOTHING THAT YOU CAN DO WITHIN REASON TO GET SERIOUS POWER GAINS.  THE OTHER OPTION IS TO BUY A 2 STROKE 250 EITHER A SUZUKI RGV OR AN APRILIA RSV250 WHICH IS AN RGV ENGINE IN A MUCH BETTER CHASSIS.  AGAIN NOT BEING RUDE JUST TRUTHFUL.

triangle_man

• Learner rider
Max HP from a GT250R
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 04:38:50 AM »

It's a lot easier to read truthful posts when they aren't in caps lock... but I agree anyways.

You are stuck on a 250 for a pre-ordained period by the great and knowledgable rulers of the land (who are generally retarded when it comes to doing anything fun and dangerous) so just have patience and save your moneys for a GT650  8)  one day (soon)... or a Triumph Speed Triple  :twisted: a little further down the track
I console myself with quality Finnish  music! http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf

drharveys

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
...can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 05:04:17 AM »

It's an old song, but true.  Here in the US, you can take your motorcycle test on a 50cc motor scooter, then head out and buy the biggest Harley or meanest sport bike you can afford.  And quite a few do.  The result is far too many new riders who don't make it to journeyman status.  

Your 250 is a great little bike.  Unless the powers that be have severely detuned it, it's got all the power you'll need to play in traffic around town.  You will learn a lot about riding and technique by squeezing out all the performance it has in it's stock form.  When you can buy a bigger bike, the skill and smoothness you developed will enable you to get a lot more out it than just relying on raw horsepower to make up for your deficiencies in skill.

In short, kwitcherbitchen and ride already!

piscatorial_phd

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
Re: Max HP from a GT250R
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 03:16:02 PM »

Quote from: "FlyingScotsman"
Hi Guys,

i am looking into getting my bike down to one of these dyno centres and getting the whole bike reworked, Dynojet carb kit, muffler, sparks, k&n airfilter, CDI taken out fuel mix changed, 13 tooth sprocket.

FS: I'm a newbie, and the last person you should listen to about jetting and sprocket changes, but I think the guys and gals on this Forum are shooting straight with you. Enjoy the 250R for what it is...one of, if not, the best 250 around.

The guy that sold me my new 250 in Augusta, GA, just sold a GT650 demo on eBay with a full warranty for $3,050 (US), which was only $1,000 more than I paid for mine.
1992 Ford Ranger 302 V8 (Brown on Rust)
2007 Ford F150 Triton 5.4L V8 (Black on Silver)
2004 Hyosung GT250 Nekked (Red)
1995 Honda CB750L Nighthawk (Red)

skadamo

• Administrator
  • Forum Addict
    • http://www.korider.com
Max HP from a GT250R
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 11:12:07 PM »

Here is another slant on it...

The 250 has lighter weight than the 650.  Increasing its power will go a long way if you are a light rider.  A few horses is pretty good if you look at it in terms of percentage gain.

Theoretically you will have better handling than the 650 too cuz its lighter.  Do some searching on the site.  There are a lot of power mods for the 250.

Mods are always a losing proposition as far as money is concerned.  You never really increase your bikes value so it has to make you happy.

I would say the best mods are suspension.  It will probably do the most to make you faster on the bike at least on a track.
2007 GT250R

FlyingScotsman

• Training Wheels
Hp Gains.
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2006, 01:15:46 AM »

Cheers Skadamo

While i appreciate and practice everyones concerns about safe riding and getting the most out of the performance of the bike. My principle reson for doing this was to have the bike as a run about & Mostly Track bike.  :?

at present i ride to and from soccer etc and have been riding dirt bikes since i was 14. I come from Scotland so never really had the motivation to ride on the road. (Due to weather) I now live in Sydney and have to go through the whole L's, P's etc.. This does not bother me..  :wink:

I would rather spend the money on performance mods on a 250 that when the time comes to trade up can be used on the track and at Superbike school , than wait to trade up buy a R6 or Daytona and drop it on the track cause i never took the next step in development.  Most great riders started off on 250's on the track and or Motorcross which is why i think its the way to go rather than teach myself to be proficent on a 250 bike that has 27Hp then after a year or so hop on to an R6 That has four times the power and expect to be alright!!! I think some of you guys need to look outside the box a little!!!! :eek:

i enjoy the GT and its OK on power.. IMO the best 250 around would be the aprilia if they still made them especially for the track.

All i am getting at is that the 250 for all its greatness has an engine that pumps out 27horses, i am skeptical if mine does! and given the technology in the engine there must be loads more in their that can be extracted.

Cheers For the input people.

triangle_man

• Learner rider
Max HP from a GT250R
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2006, 03:26:38 AM »

The point isn't that you should ride like a granny on a granny bike and then ride like a demon on a demon bike and not expect to die in a very cool and fast ball of flaming death and destruction, and it's good to know you have plenty of riding experience off-road so the whole 250cc learning curve that is imposed on you is really just a pesky formality.

From your first post you already know the way to gain performance is to upgrade/mod everyhting, and I suppose suspension is a good place to start.

I'll take a (completely blind) stab and say you could add 50% to the HP by fully working everything and upgrading components and spending ludicrous $'s, but at the end of the day, my opinion is it's not worth it... your opinion can be that it is an awsome idea so you should go for it

I'm going to go wipe my chin now...
I console myself with quality Finnish  music! http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf

FlyingScotsman

• Training Wheels
Hp Gain
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2006, 05:33:55 AM »

Hi TM

i just read a few posts about how some guys have tinkered with the engines and given quite graphical details on certain aspects of their tuning. My goal i suppose for want of a better word is that in the world of 250's do the potential gains out weight the costs?

Can you manipulate the engine to a certain degree to get a good increase with out spending Millions... Lets face it if you chuck enough money at it ..it will go fast!

I have looked at the specs ets and i just cant help but think that the engine has so much more potential that what its putting out at the moment.

I suppose its a collective question for everyone who has tinkered about with them..

My mate has got his Aprilia RS250 up to 70hp without alot of money..
granted he is a race mechanic but for us mortals we should have the collective knowledge to make an informed guess.

Rick8six

• Regular rider
Max HP from a GT250R
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 12:01:34 PM »

The following is what I've done to my GT250R... (hope if gives you some idea as what to expect)

Installed a straight through sports muffler = gained 1 or 2 HP + sounds great   :D  

De-snorkel Air Filer = More air / runs too lean / lost 1 or 2 HP  :?

Increased Main Jets to 100/102 = Still running lean in low and mid range but more fuel at top end and regained a handful of HP at top end  :)

Disconnect CDI wire so it doesn't retard timig at 5500-7000 RPM = smoother power delivery but still running lean in mid-range.  :)

At this stage if original power was 27HP, I'd guess that power was now 30HP but without the mid-range loss at 5500 RPM.

Next I raised the jet needles by changing the circlip setting. One of the posts in this forum shows a shim being inserted but I just adjusted it to the next setting (highest). The end result was great. Much smoother in the mid-range, not running lean anymore (seems to run cooler too) and a BIG boost of power from 8000 RPM upwards to 11000 RPM max.

It's really noticable. I suspect it's got 35+HP  :D I'd love to dyno it just for curiosity sake.

Rick

Pages: [1] 2