• November 15, 2018, 12:03:53 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Hyosung GT250R not starting!  (Read 11701 times)

cragv

• Training Wheels
    • http://
Hyosung GT250R not starting!
« on: January 09, 2008, 03:59:39 AM »

Hi folks - long time lurker, first time poster. I need your help!

So I jumped on my 2005 Hyo GT250R this morning, and as usual, I turned the key, put it in Neutral, drew the choke on most of the way, and hit the starter.

Nothing happened. I checked the kill switch (OFF) - flicked it on and off again anyway, and kicked the stand up just in case the bike still thought it was in gear for some reason.

Still nothing. Bummer.

I tried a few more times, and at one point the starter motor coughed (as in, it spun very briefly). The battery is good (headlights are strong, high beam still bright, and dash is fully lit up), but she just ain't starting.

As the starter motor worked once and only once, I violently rocked the bike left and right between my legs on the chance there was some kind of loose connection. This did nothing.

Had to leave for work, so I took the car and will check the bike tonight. I assume its an electrical issue (I ride rain, hail or shine) but am not sure where to start. I did have time to look under the seat, but the contacts on teh battery were just fine (as they should be, cos the lights and dash light up brightly as usual).

Anyone got some ideas here? I rode it yesterday and it was fine - hasn't missed a beat in the 4 months I've had it, and it only has 20,000km on the clock (I've put 7000km of those on myself).

Thanks for anything you can suggest. I really appreciate it.

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

greerjd

• Learner rider
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 04:22:14 AM »

Okay first you have to figure out if the bike will run to rule out it being a problem with the motor. I have done this a lot last year because my battery was so bad. you turn everything on like you do when its running put the bike in second gear hold in the cluch in and bump start it. in other words push the bike till you get to a jog hop on and let the clutch out if it starts right up its a problem with the starter or the electrical going to the starter or a fuse problem. it sound like a starter problem.
Burn Rubber Not Your Soul

Greyfoxut

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 05:49:04 AM »

Oh so you have tried the "rock the bike violently trick" ey... hmm  

:lol:

I heard the clutch switch has played up on a few bikes, maybe vigorously open and close it to see if that gets a response, I hate the thought of you bump starting it and the bike taking off on you hehe

Nate

• Grinding the pipes
    • http://www.alternativecruisers.com
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 05:57:05 AM »

The battery is good (headlights are strong, high beam still bright, and dash is fully lit up), but she just ain't starting.

Headlight and dash can operate off as little as 11.5 volts, starter will not. Get a volt meter on the battery to see what actual voltage is.

Or try push starting it. If you can get it to start, it's probably your battery/charging system.
Nate

cragv

• Training Wheels
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 06:40:50 AM »

Thanks a lot for the replies, guys. I really appreciate it. Will check things over tonight :)

drmat

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 08:26:31 AM »

Yup sounds like a flat batt to me.... cars will operate their headlights, fans, lights etc on a flat battery but you won't have enough power to kick over the starter.  Did you not ride it for some time beforehand or leave the lights on?

cragv

• Training Wheels
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 09:06:38 AM »

Quote from: "drmat"
Yup sounds like a flat batt to me.... cars will operate their headlights, fans, lights etc on a flat battery but you won't have enough power to kick over the starter.  Did you not ride it for some time beforehand or leave the lights on?

That's the thing, I've been riding heaps. I've done around 1700km in the last 2 weeks (due to that time of year), and my shortest rides in that time were around 40km (home to work). So if it does end up being the battery, I'll have to look at either why it isn't charging properly, or what could be draining the power. Maybe I'm running the air conditioning too much...  8O

PtaStuart

• Scraping the pegs
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 09:23:38 AM »

Is that battery maintenance free? If not check the water levels in the battery.

Otherwise it could be a hole load of things. Carb could be dirty as well. Try jump starting it with the choke off.

???

cragv

• Training Wheels
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 09:49:32 AM »

Well I jump started it, and it fired up quickly and easily, as usual.

While the engine was running, I tapped the starter switch a couple of times. Usually you'd hear it whine, but nothing happened, so either the motor's had it, or (more likely?) the switch has corroded, become dirty, or just broken somehow.

Engine seems fine thankfully. After further spending some time on the starter thumb switch (all looks clean, and a shot of WD40 didn't do anything), I'm thinking the problem lies further down that line, all the way possibly to the starter motor. Might have to get that looked at, as I really am not overly mechanically inclined, and have next to no tools!

PtaStuart

• Scraping the pegs
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 12:23:28 PM »

Well at least it fired up. That narrows down the problem to wiring or the starter motor. Could also be a fuse mate. Check under your seat where the fuses are and simply check those first.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4