• May 24, 2018, 01:19:28 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 180 tyre on gt650r  (Read 7984 times)

kezza69

• Scraping the pegs
180 tyre on gt650r
« on: May 24, 2008, 02:47:52 PM »

Has anyone tried a 180 tire on there gt650r.
If so how does it ride and does it effect the handling in any way?
 :?
2007 gt650r carbon mirrors,blinkers and Res-art tail eliminator .
14 tooth sprocket
black tint screen.
S/D 304 shorty
Hel brake lines
Larry cook jet kit

what dosent kill you , only makes you stronger

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

BikeBandit.com

HyoKilt

• Scraping the pegs
180 tyre on gt650r
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 03:21:21 PM »

Hey Kezza.

Width and Profile (Height and also shape to a degree) of the rear tyre will definately make a difference.

If you fit a wider tyre you will find it takes more effort to tip the bike into a turn, and response will be slower.

Usually, a wider rear tyre would be fitted to handle extra power generated from the bike, or to look FULLY SICK !!  :lol:  8)

Also, Manufacturers match their front and rear tyres as a set, if you can try to buy a matched set if you do change Brands.

Just my 2 cents.....

ZEN and the art of trying to get my F$#@NG motor to work - Pass me the Angle Grinder nurse.

HyoKilt

• Scraping the pegs
180 tyre on gt650r
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 03:25:07 PM »

Think of the difference in response with Narrow V Wide Tyres like this:

If you are on a push bike, like a Racer, it is very twitchy, but goes round corners like its on rails, very quick to small effort.

If you on the road with a Mountain Bike, with big fat tyres, you will still get round the same corners as the Racer pushie, but it takes more effort and concentration to do it.

Sorry, going to stop talking now ....... :oops:

ZEN and the art of trying to get my F$#@NG motor to work - Pass me the Angle Grinder nurse.

newbymick

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
  • Great uncle Jesse
180 tyre on gt650r
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 05:01:42 PM »

Kezza - don't think that I'm getting at you but - how much do you think Hyosung put into sizing the tyres for the bike.  If the bike handled better with a wider section tyre do you thing Hyosung would have put one in in :wink:

A wider tyre will only make the bike look "sick" or "cool" or "wicked" or what ever the kids are saying these days (now that I'm 50 I qualify for the grumpy 'ol git award).  It will do nothing for the handling and will probably make things worse - not that the Hyo doesn't handle    :wink:

:2cents
"I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves."
Jerry Garcia

leisaac

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
180 tyre on gt650r
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 01:24:51 PM »

I run a 180 rear.  1st of all it looks great.  It makes you notice that the bicycle tire look is gone.  As far as handling goes, it turns just as easy but it seems alot easier to spin that rear tire which could throw you for a loop.  Just don't hammer the gas on a full sharp lean and you'll be fine.

kezza69

• Scraping the pegs
180 tyre on gt650r
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 12:44:21 AM »

Quote from: "newbymick"
Kezza - don't think that I'm getting at you but - how much do you think Hyosung put into sizing the tyres for the bike.  If the bike handled better with a wider section tyre do you thing Hyosung would have put one in in :wink:

A wider tyre will only make the bike look "sick" or "cool" or "wicked" or what ever the kids are saying these days (now that I'm 50 I qualify for the grumpy 'ol git award).  It will do nothing for the handling and will probably make things worse - not that the Hyo doesn't handle    :wink:

:2cents

no worries newby  :thumb: Just after some opinions . Was thinking more rubber on the road would be better . Thinking this might help with the lack of rear suspension . more rubber bigger contact over rough surface.
 :dunno:
2007 gt650r carbon mirrors,blinkers and Res-art tail eliminator .
14 tooth sprocket
black tint screen.
S/D 304 shorty
Hel brake lines
Larry cook jet kit

what dosent kill you , only makes you stronger

locko

• Forum Addict
180 tyre on gt650r
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 01:56:48 AM »

Quote from: "leisaac"
I run a 180 rear.  1st of all it looks great.  It makes you notice that the bicycle tire look is gone.  As far as handling goes, it turns just as easy but it seems alot easier to spin that rear tire which could throw you for a loop.  Just don't hammer the gas on a full sharp lean and you'll be fine.

i agree i ride a 170/60 michelin pilot power 2CT's the best and only tire i will ride.. they work awesome on rain it lets you take turns with a great angle on rain.. and miami is really rainy... they heat up almost inmidiatly  and last around 8,000 miles on the flat lands of FL .. also is a quality ride :) ..

newbymick

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Addict
  • Great uncle Jesse
180 tyre on gt650r
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 12:49:30 PM »

Quote from: "kezza69"

no worries newby  :thumb: Just after some opinions . Was thinking more rubber on the road would be better . Thinking this might help with the lack of rear suspension . more rubber bigger contact over rough surface.
 :dunno:

Hey man - it's your bike, you do what you want  :wink:

But, a wider section tyre won't put more rubber - increase the contact patch - on the road.  What it will do is change the handling of the bike.  By fitting a 180 tyre on a 160 rim, what you are doing is changing the profile of the tyre from what the manufacturer has designed it to be.  The section will become more oval and this will affect straight line stability and the way in which the bike turns in a corner.  It will become slower and will require more counter steer input.      

http://www.superbiketyres.com/faqs.htm#faq7

"CAN I FIT A WIDER TYRE ON MY MOTORCYCLE?

It is not a good idea, unless it is recommended by the motorcycle manufacturer, or you have changed the wheels. Fitting a wider tyre on the same rim often deforms the natural profile of the tyre and can therefore cause adverse handling problems. Also, a larger tyre on the rear of a bike can slow the steering down."

If fact NO MANUFACTURER would recommend fitting a wider tyre than the rim has been designed for.  

Have an accident - your fault or a cagers - and the first thing they will look at are your tyres.  They find a tyre on there that isn't correct for the rim - poop, there goes yer insurance and your left looking for the $20K to fix yourself and yer bike

Only my opinion though  :wink:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/community/Forums/Categories/Topic/?topic-id=325405&start-page=0
What Dunlop say - scroll halfway down
"I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves."
Jerry Garcia

danci1973

• Learner rider
180 tyre on gt650r
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 01:21:00 PM »

how much do you think Hyosung put into sizing the tyres for the bike.

Not a whole lot, I guess. They just went with what the SV650 had. Probably cheaper.

If the bike handled better with a wider section tyre do you thing Hyosung would have put one in in :wink:

Nooo, that would mean they'd need to use a wider rim and that would increase their cost, consequently increasing the GT650 price tag - lowering their sales.

I guess their choice of front brake calipers shows that their top priority was 'low cost' and not 'performance'.

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend using a 180 tire on the narrow stock wheel. IIRC even the 160 is on the limit for the Hyo stock rim.

However - if there was a compatible wider wheel available, I'd love to use 180 tire on the GT650. The choice of decent tires is better, if nothing else.

D.

locko

• Forum Addict
180 tyre on gt650r
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 03:14:44 PM »

Quote from: "danci1973"
how much do you think Hyosung put into sizing the tyres for the bike.

Not a whole lot, I guess. They just went with what the SV650 had. Probably cheaper.

I AGREE LOL

If the bike handled better with a wider section tyre do you thing Hyosung would have put one in in :wink:

Nooo, that would mean they'd need to use a wider rim and that would increase their cost, consequently increasing the GT650 price tag - lowering their sales.

I guess their choice of front brake calipers shows that their top priority was 'low cost' and not 'performance'.

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend using a 180 tire on the narrow stock wheel. IIRC even the 160 is on the limit for the Hyo stock rim.

D.
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  totally agreed upon lol ... but you can fit a 180 without a problem on the rear tire... and the biggest you can get in the front (already tested by me...120/65ZR17 ..you can go bigger or you need to get rid of the front fender..) but the 170 and 180 hold without a problem on the rim .... i have a bunch on miles on mine and no issue perfect turning and i feel more comfortable on the rain

Pages: [1] 2