• October 22, 2018, 12:04:18 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Welcome to Korider.com!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Review of my 2007 Hyosung Prima scooter.  (Read 5719 times)

teefca

• Training Wheels
Review of my 2007 Hyosung Prima scooter.
« on: August 31, 2008, 07:27:41 PM »

First of all I am very pleased with my Prima. It now has 3000km on it  and it has not missed a beat. I have not had to touch it with a wrench other than normal maintenance. My scooter is derestricted but no change was made to the jets in the carb., stock exhaust and variator. I find it accelerates slow off the line but once it reaches 30-40km  it goes nicely. I t cruises nice at 55-60km with no strain which is the normal speed I drive at with a top speed of roughly 70km. I still find as the kilometers go on it works better. It rides good and I am getting roughly 100 miles per gallon. I find it noisy on take off but once up to speed it just humms along. A couple of times I have put on 200km a day with no problem, I find the seat comfortable. I said the variator was stock but the washer was removed between the pulleys. Overall a great little scooter.

Register and log in and the Ads below will be gone! :D

VA-Scooter-Boy

• Learner rider
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 08:27:48 PM »

Just a clarification. When you say it was "derestricted," do you know if the plate under the carb at the intake manifold was removed? If so, you will be running "lean" due to that allowing more air in to the mixture. This means you are running hot and run the risk of overheating, burning up the piston and seizing the engine. If that plate is out you REALLY need to make sure you get a bigger main jet installed on the carb to allow it to run "richer." Stock jet in mine was a 60. Consensus appears to be to jump up to a 65 or 67.5.

If the plate was not removed, I found considerably more "pep" low end when it was taken out and and with the bigger jet installed.

teefca

• Training Wheels
2007 hyosung prima review
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 02:29:20 AM »

In reply to Va-Scooter-Boy, I have 3000km on the scooter and it has shown no signs  of tightening up and seizing. Hyosung Canada says  their is no need to enlarge the main jet. Every time I go home I climb up a steep 500 foot hill and if it was going to seize it would seize then. Yes, the dealer removed the plate under the carb. I appreciate your concern, thanks.

VA-Scooter-Boy

• Learner rider
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 03:34:36 PM »

Just a friendly piece of advice, If it was me I would want to verify whether I am running too lean/hot despite what Hyosung Canada says. If you are, there certainly is a long term risk of major engine problems.

To check, you can do a simple plug inspection. Run your scooter for awhile to bring it to normal operating temp. Then run it wide open throttle (WOT) for a minute or two. Go from WOT to a throttle "chop" (quickly wind down the throttle from WOT to closed) using the throttle grip and at the same time hit the kill switch. If you let off the throttle to turn in your driveway or let it idle a bit before turning it off it won't be an accurate plug read. After the throttle chop and killing the engine simultaneously, coast to a stop and pull the plug.  You can access it via the compartment under the seat. There should be a small trap door in the bottom that pulls out. Remove the round rubber stopper with the wire going in to it. This will expose your plug. Remove the plug and look at the end of it that was inside the engine. Be careful, it will likely be pretty hot! There is a small ceramic inner ring (inside the larger metal one). Look at the base of that and if it is white or gray you are running to lean/hot. If it tan to mocha brown colored you are running perfect. If it's black, sooty, or oily, you are running to rich.

It's up to you, but this is a quick 10 minute check and could greatly extend the life of your scooter should you discover you're too lean. With a 2-stroke, if anything, you want to be a little on the rich side rather than lean. It might be running fine now and has been for some time, but running lean is very hard on an engine and even if it doesn't seize, it will certainly shorten the lifespan on the engine.  :wink: If  you aren't planning on keeping the scooter long term, you may get by without worrying about it.

Besides, what do you have to loose? If you check the plug and you're fine, you wasted like 10 min. of your time and have peace of mind. If you check and you're lean, you can fix it and will be riding your scooter for many more kilometers to come. I'd be curious what Hyosung Canada would say if you told them you checked your plug and are running lean from the extra air in the mixture from the carb plate being out. Would they still say you're fine and don't need a rejet? I know from reading a ton of posts that most dealers would agree that there will be problems if you don't rejet after that plate is out. But anyway, take it or leave it. Just my opinion.  :) HAPPY SCOOTING!

RAW

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 08:52:03 PM »

Welcome to the forum :D

Yes i agree the scoot good scoot for the money and with some small mods you can have a great ride.

Now the topic of jet.With the Hyosung Canada saying not to rejet.DENIAL is what that is.With removing the variator ring and restrictor wire will increase the top speed but the restrictor plate is requiring more air which needs MORE fuel.

You can be running fine as you noted but with out doing a plug check and or temp gauge to see how hot you are running you will never know for sure.

Best advice and please think of a few things here.
#1 rejet to a 65 as min depending on elevation and humidity I would go to a 70 plus jet if you ever have plans of putting a technigas exhaust on the scoot.But the elevation and humididty were you are also some into the mix.
#2 add in a little oil to your gas.NEVER trust the pre mix as you add nore gas (rejet ) you need a touch more oil.It will not hurt. just add 5ml extra to a tank of fuel and you CYA.

Then rev the heck out of the scoot drive the heck out of it and you will have no issue.

And at the same time add a 2" air plug in the air box.

VA-Scooter-Boy

• Learner rider
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 04:25:35 PM »

RAW, can you tell me more on the "2 inch plug in the air box" you mentioned? I haven't heard that one yet. Can you elaborate? You talking a new air box to replace the stock one or some sort of modification to the stock box or is there some plug you can buy somewhere??

RAW

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 04:57:24 PM »

These air filter plugs are what I am talking about.Drill a 23mm hole and press it in.Increases the air flow.

The key with retaining your factory air box.
#1 your factory air box is reducing air noise by 5 times.Remove the factory air box and you will have a lot more air turbulance noise.LOTS more
#2 keeps life simple with keeping the filter clean.

VA-Scooter-Boy

• Learner rider
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 05:51:21 PM »

Any suggestions on where to get those 2" filter plugs? Know any good online vendors? I see they have them on scooter-attack.com (Airfilter for Airbox, Article No:MF18.00000). Is this the right plug for sure? (It says drill a 25mm). So where on the black air box do you drill for this plug? Smack in the middle of the box (Facing out on the left side?)

Did you have to do any carb adjusting after installing one of these? If it provides more air to the carb, I'm assuming you would be running even leaner and need a bigger jet, have to lower the needle clip, and adjust the mixture screw?

RAW

• Goodbye chickenstrips!
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 06:02:46 PM »

I have seen thema at several online but as i use scooterattack for most of my ordering I know they have them.

VA-Scooter-Boy

• Learner rider
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 06:45:11 PM »

Thanks! Can you answer the question where exactly you installed it on the box and also if you needed to make any carb adjustments afterwards to compensate for more air in the mixture?

Pages: [1] 2